Bengali Chicken Bharta is a creamy chicken preparation made by shredded chicken. Chicken Bhorta is not spicy dish. It is rich in flavour but not loaded with ghee or butter.It is mild and light.The word ‘Bharta’ or ‘bhorta’ itself means minced or mashed which is quite popular in Indian cuisine.
|Recipe type||Side Dish|
|Main Ingredients||Chicken, Ginger-garlic paste, |
|Cook time||20 mins|
For tempering oil
Boneless Chicken 250g
Finely chopped 100g Onion
1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
50g finely chopped Tomato Or 1 small tomato
2 tbsp Cashew paste
2 tbsp well beaten Yogurt or curd
2 tbsp Fresh cream
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp methi
Salt to taste
1 cup Hot water
2 tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
2 Hard-boiled egg
1. Cut boneless chicken pieces into thin strips
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. When the oil is hot put all the ingredients included under ‘for tempering oil’ section and allow to sizzle.
3. Add chopped onion and sauté for 1 min or two. Add ginger-garlic paste and mix. Make little space in the middle of the pan and add 1-2 tsp of water. It will help to soften onion without burning them.
4. Add finely chopped tomatoes and continue cooking until tomato is softened.
5. In a separate mixing bowl mix all the dry spices except Tandoori masala and Garam masala with 2-3 tbsp of water to make a paste and add the paste to the pan.
6. Add salt and little water and mix well. Once water evaporates add more water and cook till oil separates from masala.
7. Now add tandoori masala which will give you restaurant style aroma and flavour. Cook till oil floats on top.
8. Add shredded chicken and coat nicely with masala. Add water as required and cook till chicken is half done.
9. Once chicken is tender add cashew paste and yogurt and mix. Give water if required. Cover the pan and cook in low flame for 5-6 mins or until chicken is done.
10. Once chicken is done nicely, add cream, garam masala, kasuri methi and butter. Stir lightly to mix everything.